I can’t explain why we shouldn’t murder disabled children

I don’t know.

I don’t know how else to explain this. Can I really formulate an argument that will explain why we shouldn’t murder disabled children? If you don’t immediately recognize the eugenic slaughter of handicapped babies as something severely troubling, I’m not sure that I can offer any insights to help you understand.

So, me personally, I’m livin’ over here in a world where it’s never OK to execute a disabled baby, or any baby, for any reason. In fact, in my universe — a universe we might call “reality” — the murder of children could be, without hyperbole, classified as THE worst thing. It is the worst of all that is bad. It is the lowest of low. It is the ugliest of ugly. It is the Pinnacle of Wrong. If it isn’t wrong to kill children, then it can not be wrong to do anything else.

Let me say that again, because it’s a crucial point:

Literally anything else.

Slavery? Genocide? How can they be condemned? Of what sort of moral standard have they fallen short? If the bar has sunken low enough so that infanticide can leap above it, then I doubt that any atrocity could find a way to limbo underneath.

Believe it or not, even politically incorrect comments about homosexuality have to be excused if we are to believe that baby killing is a moral act.

I’m often told that I need to be more understanding on this topic, but this is an unfair request. There are people — millions of them, in fact — who think it should be legal to murder babies, but then illegal to, say, pay a fast food worker less than minimum wage, or refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. How could I possibly understand this mentality? How could I wrap my head around the thought process that leads one to conclude that the latter cases are so atrocious — so dehumanizing — that they ought to be outlawed, but the former case is so acceptable that it ought to be vigorously defended, and even funded, by the federal government?

Understanding? No. I do not understand. I do not. And I hope that I never do. CS Lewis wrote about the Abolition of Man, and reading his book is the closest I can come to understanding a society that has devolved into this kind of murderous insanity. He wrote:

“The Tao, which others may call Natural Law or Traditional Morality or the First Principles of Practical Reason or the First Platitudes, is not one among a series of possible systems of value. It is the sole source of all value judgments. If it is rejected, all value is rejected. If any value is retained, it is retained. The effort to refute it and raise a new system of value in its place is self-contradictory. There has never been, and never will be, a radically new judgment of value in the history of the world. What purport to be new systems or ideologies all consist of fragments from the Tao itself, arbitrarily wrenched from their context in the whole and then swollen to madness in their isolation, yet still owing to the Tao and to it alone such validity as they posses.”

We have arbitrarily wrenched certain values from the One Source of all values, and they have now swollen to madness in their isolation.

Oh, but don’t judge them: they still “love” their child. They wish he was dead, they wish they had killed him, but they still “love” him. Make no judgments. Offer no stern words. They sued a hospital for not giving them the chance to kill their child, but do not think yourself qualified to condemn such a thing.

Or that’s what I’ve been told, anyway.

So I sat down and intended to write about this case. I was going to explore all of the angles. I was going to point out, as a secondary issue, how these “wrongful birth lawsuits” (this one is hardly the first) will serve to make it even more expensive to have a baby at a hospital. Think of the liability issues involved if medical establishments can now be sued for not killing your baby. I was going to explain how this story is an inevitable side effect of the death cult philosophy which tells us that human life is worthless, and a parent’s right to convenience and comfort can trump a child’s right to the life God gave it. I was going to point out how the Nazis also murdered the disabled for the same reason we do: to rid society of those who might be considered a “burden.”

Here’s an excerpt from Hitler’s Law for the Prevention of Hereditary Diseased Offspring:

Since the National Revolution public opinion has become increasingly preoccupied with questions of demographic policy and the continuing decline in the birthrate. However, it is not only the decline in population which is a cause for serious concern but equally the increasingly evident genetic composition of our people. Whereas the hereditarily healthy families have for the most part adopted a policy of having only one or two children, countless numbers of inferiors and those suffering from hereditary conditions are reproducing unrestrainedly while their sick and asocial offspring burden the community.

I was going to say that abortion apologists have, in more than one way, aligned themselves with one of the most wicked political regimes in the history of mankind.

I was going to explain why this is not a good thing.

I was going to explain why disabled children shouldn’t be murdered.

I was going to explain why all children, disabled or not, should be protected.

I was going to, but I can’t. These facts are self evident, and I can’t explain a self evident fact. I’m not that good.

If you don’t understand, I can’t make you. All I can do is pray for your soul.

And I will. I promise.

**********

Find me on Facebook.

1,934 Responses to I can’t explain why we shouldn’t murder disabled children

1. Jen says:

I have one to stump all of you. I had a healthy baby girl when I was 24. No issues. There are no genetic conditions in my family on either side. I had another baby girl six months ago at the age of 32. I had an amniocentesis done because of my age. All of the testing came back normal. Then, when she was born, she had irregular breathing. We found out she has a condition called Dandy Walker. It affects the hindbrain. She is missing a piece that controls balance and coordination. Dandy Walker is a sporadic condition. It happens for no apparent reason. I took prenatal vitamins. I do not drink, smoke, or do drugs. I didn’t ask for this and neither did she. Sometimes, things are beyond your control. There is a higher power at work. Disabilities can happen even when you plan, even with the best doctoral care. I went to all of my appointments. I had genetic testing and ultrasounds. She was made that way for a reason. Be grateful for what you have and do the best with what you have been given.

2. Jerry Grose says:

How true, Matt Walsh has a gift and he is using it well!

3. Tony C. says:

So I’m confused now after Jerry Grose’s comments. I realise he never wrote this blog but he does seem to also be speaking for “The Bible” which I think is a shared authority for Matt Walsh. Let’s not make too much of that connection though.

You see this post is about the absolute, unequivocal, never any doubt about it, 110% wrongness of killing babies. That seems to be the authors contention. Re-read it and tell me if I’m wrong.

It’s a bold stance. Powerful even. I’m interested in how it is lived out.

It has implications for how we understand a great many actions and historical events including the bombing of Nagasaki and also the Biblical flood if you believe in that kind of thing.

On the other hand if this blog is only pretending to never justify baby-killing but then happily would OK the drowning of babies by God or the bombing of them by the US then that’s kind of boring. Its sort of more of the men only giving a bother about babies when saving them allows them to control womens’ bodies. I hope that’s not the case.

4. mo says:

Of course you know why it’s wrong to murder disabled children.

It’s wrong for the same reason it’s wrong to murder any other human being – because people are created in the image of God, each one is unique, and murdering them is always wrong. Always.

“You see, this is the problem. This is why we can’t come to any agreements. This is why our arguments are fruitless. They don’t have to be — arguing could be a rather worthwhile activity. But a constructive argument, or debate, or dialogue, or whatever you want to call it, requires both parties to have some shared concept of right vs wrong and fact vs fiction. Without that, neither side can appeal to the other, because they both exist in entirely different universes.”

This is a fair point. But even most secular people and hostile anti-theists don’t go around murdering people and know that it’s wrong to do so, even if they can’t quite formulate a reason why.

“I’m often told that I need to be more understanding on this topic, but this is an unfair request.”

They’re wrong. There’s nothing to understand. If you think it’s okay to murder a baby before it’s born, then you must think it’s okay to murder a baby after it’s born – at ANY age. There’s no difference between the two, other than the physical location of the baby.

“There are people — millions of them, in fact — who think it should be legal to murder babies, but then illegal to, say, pay a fast food worker less than minimum wage, or refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. How could I possibly understand this mentality?”

You can’t. Because it’s utterly without sense or reason.

“Understanding? No. I do not understand. I do not. And I hope that I never do.”

Absolutely right. Sometimes evil doesn’t need to be understood. Evil needs to be resisted and defeated.

“I say all of this because my initial intention was to sit down and write about the couple in Washington who just won a 50 million dollar “wrongful birth” settlement. Brock and Rhea Wuth sued a hospital because their son was born severely disabled. No, they were not alleging that the hospital caused the disability; they alleged that the hospital (and a lab testing facility) did not run the correct tests that would have detected the genetic defects while the child was still in the womb. Had they been given the correct tests, they would have known that the baby was “defective,” and then killed it. Tragically, they were robbed of the opportunity to abort their son, so the hospital must pay for the son’s care — for the rest of his life.”

What utterly evil people these are. Period.

I can’t. These facts are self evident, and I can’t explain a self evident fact. I’m not that good.”

No one is. That’s why each human being has a conscience. They already KNOW these things are wrong. What they have done is to suppress that knowledge. They’ve silenced and tried to kill their own conscience.

But I don’t think the conscience can be killed. Not entirely. Not permanently.

This is why they get so frothing-at-the-mouth angry when people like you or like me point the incredible evil of their acts! They have constructed an entire worldview of lies to try and silence that conscience. When we say something that they know is true – like, “Murdering babies is always wrong” – it shatters this illusion that they have worked so desperately to erect in an effort to justify their wishes to do whatever it is they want to do!

That is why they become so viciously, violently angry. They are lashing out at the God who gave them that conscience that stands between them and what they want to do.

And since we are all created in the image of that God, since we already KNOW that these things are wrong, the pain of having to face this fact is unbearable.

5. Erick says:

Hi there! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!

6. Chris says:

With my apologies, the most sardonic thing I could think of to why we shouldn’t murder handicapped babies is, “THIS IS NOT SPARTA!!!”

• He’s not actually talking about babies is he? That actually makes quite a lot of difference
      , in fact, all the difference.

• Abby says:

It IS a baby Colin – tell yourself otherwise if it helps you sleep better at night.

• You can convince yourself it is a baby if it makes you happier in your self righteous judgement. The idea that a baby is nothing more than a tiny bag of unfeeling cells is actually offensive to me so I’ll go with the evidence and the common sense if it’s all the same to you.

Ah! That’s the problem isn’t it? It’s NOT all the same to you is it? You feel a burning need to impose your warped ‘thinking’ onto everyone else.

7. KA says:

Heres an idea to stump all of you. Y’all all clearly strongly disagree with it, but what about under certain circumstances. So here are some questions. What if you were dirt poor? Barely living paycheck to paycheck… Do y’all know how much prenatal care cost? How much it cost to have a baby? According to thebump.com, “prenatal care and delivery costs can range from about $9,000 to over $250,000.” Even if you were going to give the baby up for adoption you still have these cost. Of course thats what insurance is for. But being in the medical field myself, a lot of people do not have insurance. Also some insurances do not pay for some of the stuff required to have a baby. Prenatal care is to have a “healthy baby”, but what if you were dirt poor and the baby was not healthy? The cost when up a significant amount. There again theres always the choice of adoption, but there are still the hospital bills. Now the reality of the situation. What are the chances of a disabled baby getting adopted? Most likely they will probably be in an institution or in a orphanage until they turn 18. But then what?… Moving on to another situation. Everybody is made differently. Some girls are just physically not able to carry a child. What if they get pregnant anyway? What if having the baby can kill the woman? Another situation is when the girl gets grusomely raped. She would have to live with that for the next nine month with a reminder under her shirt. Some people may even harm the baby out of emotion.
    So yes it may be wrong to kill baby’s, but if they are going to live in constant sadness and suffrage (which no mother wants for their baby) would it be morally right??