An inspirational message to the Haters of America

Haters,

Hello. You’ve been pretty active recently. It seems every time I go on the internet I see you all, hard at work spewing your misery and envy. Does it get exhausting, Haters? Do you ever come home from a long day of relentless negativity and resentment, and just think to yourselves, “geez, I’m not sure that Hating is really worth all this energy”?

Let me assure you: it isn’t. When that tiny voice creeps into your head, when it whispers those doubts — listen to it. It’s telling you the truth. It’s pointing you back towards the land of the living, where humans charge out into the light, striving for greatness. It’s telling you that there’s more to existence than skulking in the shadows, grumbling and grunting like trolls; sneering at those of us who have made ourselves vulnerable to your barbs by actually trying to get things done.

I see you’ve been pulling double duty on this Maria Kang lady. Oh, she’s just the latest victim of yours; she’s the Hater Flavor of the Week. You’ll have a new one come Monday. But, for now, you’re attacking this woman and accusing her of “fat-shaming.” You’re calling her a “bully” and a “bad mother.” You’ve labeled her a liar and a fraud. You’re flooding her with hate mail (the only sort of mail you know how to send). And why? What has she done to spark your ire? Why have you summoned your legions against her?

Because of this:

MariaKangWhatsYourExcuse

Neither you nor I know very much about Mrs. Kang. I can’t speak to her character, and neither can you (but that won’t stop you). However, based on this image and the articles about her, we know she’s a woman, a wife, a mother, and she’s in extraordinary shape. We know fitness is one of her passions and she’s dedicated herself to encouraging others to take care of their bodies. She sees obesity as a major problem in our society, and she wants to do her part to address it. She thinks that if you want to improve your health, you have to stop making excuses and start taking control of your life. We know all of that because, well, she’s said all of that. It’s also the clear and unmistakable message any rational person would glean from that inspirational poster above.

Here are some things she didn’t say: “Fat people are bad!” “If you aren’t in killer shape, you suck!” “You should be ashamed of your body!” “Overweight people should be sent to forced labor camps!” I could go on. There are literally millions of things she didn’t say, as opposed to the very specific things she did say. Again, rational people listen to what a person actually says, rather than randomly fantasizing a conversation that never happened, and accusing the speaker of saying something that, likely, very few people in the history of the universe have ever said.

No, Haters, she didn’t say any of those things. She didn’t insinuate them. She didn’t suggest them. She didn’t secretly imbed them into that photo with invisible ink. She didn’t write it on a note and send it to your house via carrier pigeon.

But you know that, don’t you?

You’re not really delusional, are you? You KNOW that Mrs. Kang was simply engaging in a little positive encouragement, and you still hate her.

Do you know how I became aware of this “controversy” over Mrs. Kang’s physical fitness? Because I’m apparently Facebook “friends” with a few of you. A couple of days ago, I started seeing people post links to articles about this whole kerfuffle. The commentary you wrote in regards to this story always had a similar theme. Of course you charged Mrs. Kang with being “insensitive” because she committed the crime of being proud of her accomplishments. But you also insisted that she didn’t really accomplish anything at all. You said she’s only in excellent physical condition because she’s “lucky” and she has the “right genetics.” She hasn’t had the same struggles and medical issues as you. “It’s easy for her to look like that,” you professed, caustically.

And this is where I must stop you, Haters. Be as thin-skinned, jealous, and spiteful as you like, but you have no right to take someone else’s successes away from them. You have no right to invalidate their achievements. You have no place. You have no standing. You have not the single, slightest damned clue as to what you’re babbling about. She had it easier than you? What genie from what bottle gave you the power to peer inside a stranger’s conscience and confirm that wild speculation? Are you sure she didn’t just work harder? Why have you ruled that possibility out entirely?

OK, put Mrs. Kang’s case aside for a moment. I want to address your overall outlook on life. I want to speak to this toxic demeanor you try to spread like an infectious disease through our culture.

It is this attitude that I detest. I hate it. I don’t hate you — I hate your attitude. I hate the attitude that leads a person to try and diminish the blood, sweat and tears of the strivers and achievers in our society. I hate the attitude that hates success. To scoff at another’s triumph is about the most anti-American thing you can ever do. You might as well decapitate a Bald Eagle while burning the flag and kissing the Communist Manifesto, because you have officially become the most un-American creature in the galaxy. You are standing on the sidelines and spitting on the people crossing the finish line, and I can’t think of a more detestable hobby than that.

It’s not about her six pack abs or her BMI. It’s not about HER, specifically. Not everyone wants to be, or needs to be, or has any interest in being THAT toned and fit. But nobody needs to be morbidly obese. Most of us could treat our bodies better, and ALL of us make too many excuses. That’s the point. Moreover, Mrs. Kang set a goal for herself and then she went out and grabbed it. How dare you sit back, behind that computer screen, hidden away in your houses, and attempt to belittle the WORK and EFFORT that went into it. Have you ever gone after a goal? Any goal? Have you ever put EVERYTHING you have into something? Anything? With that attitude, I’m guessing not.

Some people climb the mountains. Some people stand at the base and hope the climbers hit a loose rock and fall to their deaths. You seem to be in the latter group. Fine, you’re safe down there on the ground. It’s just that you’re not really alive, either.

Success comes in many forms, and the Haters of America despise it in all of its manifestations. It’s easy to look at someone who is wealthy, or fit, or happily married, or whatever other version of success, and quickly assume that these folks “got lucky.” But there’s a problem with that assumption: these things can’t be accomplished passively. These are the fruits of labor that you don’t see, and maybe can’t even fathom. You aren’t inside their minds to hear that voice telling them to give up, to give in, to stop trying. You can’t hear them fight with that voice every minute of the day.

Nothing is easy, Haters. Everything is earned. They have it because they earned it. You don’t because you didn’t. Deal with it.

It’s OK to have flaws. Lord knows, I’ve got ‘em. I’ve got a massive surplus of flaws. I could be so much better — a better husband, a better father, a better Christian. I could be in better shape. Hell, I could be better at blogging. So I look at the folks who have achieved more than me in these areas and I use them for motivation. Hate them? How could I? I’m hiking the same trail, they’re just farther along.

Everybody faces challenges. Everybody has handicaps of some sort. Do you think yours are more crippling? Do you think yours provide you with unique excuses? Really?

Well, if Mrs. Kang’s Facebook photo didn’t change your mind, how ’bout this:

Kyle_Maynard-Wrestling

That’s Kyle Maynard. He’s a championship wrestler. He has no arms and no legs. What’s your excuse?

Or try this one:

SpencerWestSummit_270x203

That guy is missing the bottom portion of his body. He just climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. What’s your excuse?

Here’s another one:

untitled

She’s 77. She just completed the Ironman World Championship. What’s your excuse?

Take a swig of your Hater-fuel and tell me how your excuse is more convincing than theirs. Go ahead, Haters. Tell me how the wrestler with no limbs has only made more of himself because he “got lucky.” Tell me how the elderly woman has an “easier” time staying in shape than you. Look how proud they are. Tell me they’re insensitive for being so sure of themselves.

Go ahead, tell me.

Hello?

That’s what I thought.

But I called this an inspirational message, and I want to deliver on that promise. So here’s the good news: you don’t have to be like this. I’m not saying you should be a bodybuilder, or a millionaire, or anything else; I’m just saying you don’t have to hate success. When you see someone smiling proudly after hitting their target, you don’t have to respond with childish mockery and derision. You don’t have to feel attacked or insulted just because your neighbor is finding happiness and fulfillment in his chosen pursuits. You think your only recourse in the face of greatness is to try to discredit it, but you’re wrong. Your efforts are futile anyway, and they’re also wholly unnecessary. You only carry on like this because you’ve given up on yourselves. You’re running around knocking down sandcastles because you think you aren’t capable of building your own. But you can, my friends. You’re exploding with potential. It would leak out of your pores if only you’d uncross your arms and break a sweat. You can be great at something, I know it. Leave your Hating ways behind and take a step or two down the path to success. It won’t be easy, but the best parts of life are never the easiest parts.

You’ll meet a lot of people along the way. They’re the sort who kick ass and take names. They’re the ones who get things done. They are the folks setting goals and exceeding them. They’re the ones you’ve always Hated so much, but now you’ll be one of them.

You’ll go from Hater to Hated, and, trust me, you’ll never want to go back.

I don’t hate you. I love you, I want you to be happy and successful in whatever way you desire. I know you can be, I just don’t think you know it. Forget about Mrs. Kang. This isn’t about her, she’s just a case study. Congratulate her for what she’s been able to do, then set out to do what you want to do. But, she’s right about what she said: you’ll have to stop making excuses first.

****
Find me on Facebook.

1,050 Responses to An inspirational message to the Haters of America

1. John Anthony says:

Amazing how many people in the responses are the same ones with excuses.

2. G.D. says:

I think her message is great but I really ‘dislike’ the word ‘hater’. It’s used so easily with anyone that disagrees with someone they just call them a ‘hater’ and all of a sudden the critical one is a negative Nancy. There is a difference between being a miserable person who hates everything than someone who has critical thought. Critical thoughti is the thing that perpetuates the world; if people didn’t strive for something better, nothing would change. And everyone has their own idea of what is good or bad, everything’s not so black and white to say that one thing is bad and one thing is good.

• Tammy says:

Exactly.

• I don’t think “hater” applies to the disagreement so much as it applies to the method or tone to the disagreement.

To disagree with what someone has said by saying something like “I see what you’re saying, but I disagree and here’s why” is completely acceptable, and in no way hateful. It’s civil and respectful, it’s meeting on opinion with another in a way that leaves nobody attacked or accused.

To disagree with someone using venom and statements like “You’re making X people feel bad about themselves because…” or “So you’re saying that X people are disgusting because they’re not like you” is pretty darn hateful. You haven’t made an actual point, you haven’t put forth an actual counterpoint, you haven’t contributed anything remotely useful to the discussion. Nor have you posed a question that would let the other clarify.

Yes, the term ‘hater’ is used more often than it should be, but only because people are hateful for no reason more often than they should be.

• Cindy C says:

Agree

3. Marlon George says:

If you aren’t in a position where things are terrible and you’re not being trodden upon constantly, you may not feel the need to exceed. You’ll likely find the people who are happy with the status quo likely aren’t the ones hating, and the ones making the unpleasant comments are just unhappy with their situations but unable to figure out how to change.

I’d say most of the “haters” as you call them are just a bit lost and don’t know a way out, so they lash out at those who have. Anger is easy – being able to be angry to the right degree, at the right time, with the right person/thing however, that is difficult.

4. Bethany says:

Well said. Most things that are worthwhile take a lot of work, right? Many sit on the sidelines and sulk instead of challenging themselves. They are definitely missing out!

5. AmyP says:

I think that what she has been able to do is AWESOME! That being said, it probably isn’t realistic for me. I’ll do my best to try to get back in shape after baby, but I have some other things to balance at this point that are more important. It’s not making excuses, it’s prioritizing. Her fitness seems to be one of her top priorities. My work and learning how to be the best mom I can be are mine right now. I am not at all a hater, I think that what she has done is inspiring. But I feel like the “what’s your excuse?” puts me on the defensive, and I probably don’t need to be. It’s okay that at 3 months postpartum I still have some weight to lose. I am learning to accept my body, and my stretch marks, because I know that it did something wonderful by bringing my baby into the world and continuing to nurture her. I try to take care of myself, eat healthy, go to a “mommy baby” workout class once or twice a week, etc. But if I have been up all night with a colicky baby, or I’ve been so busy tending to her needs and keeping up with laundry that we have to eat frozen pizza for dinner that night, I try to cut myself some slack, and I think it’s okay if other moms do too.

• She is not saying be her, she is saying be like her. Remember in SCTV when they throw the TV out the window. Do that, be rash and take a plunge to health. It’s not about extremism, it’s about moderation and making the attempt. With every day you attempt to improve, you will improve more than if you fight your norm. Get out and the Post-partum will subsist. Activity and Community can help with this activity. Don’t just be there, get out there. twenty moderate minutes a day, and you are good – six kids later you will be fine and they can exercise with you – moderation!!!

• Name Required says:

I agree about being put on the defensive by the headline. When I first saw it, I misread it as, “What’s Your Exercise?” and I thought the poster was about how physically active you need to be when there are little kids running around. Or I thought maybe this was a woman who turned actively playing with her kids into her fitness routine. And maybe she did. And if so, good for her! But “What’s Your Excuse?” implies I *should* have a body like hers, and it never occurred to me that I needed one (hence, I have no excuses handy).

I’m not overweight, but I’m no athlete. I had a baby 4 years ago at the age of 33 and it really did change my body. I lost 10 pounds while I was pregnant because I had hyperemesis gravitas. My breasts and my belly got huge (and were scarred with stretch marks), but I wasn’t taking in enough food, so I lost fat reserves and muscle. I gained back the lost weight, and now I have what I consider a perfectly acceptable female body: I’m soft and cushy in some places and very strong in others. I don’t assume that everyone will have the same life experiences or the same life goals. I have lots of things other people don’t have, but I don’t assume they have an “excuse” for not having them.

• Jen says:

I agree with the article about the negativity out there, but I think the example he has given is a bad one.

I feel like, based on her ad alone, she IS insinuating you *should* look like her, if she can do it with three young children, so can you! And I think that is BS. I don’t believe you should have an excuse, made to feel like you need one or even explain yourself for not having a 6 pack before or after children. Having a 6 pack is not the only definition of good health.

And, I do believe you should be healthy. Healthy for you and your lifestyle, your genetics, your situation….. But this is not a fair way to convey it or make most women relate to it.

PS. I am not a hater, I am a thin person with 3 children close in age myself. I just disagree with the ad and what it does insinuate. Women have enough body image issues. This was a vain ad, on face value, that *most* women would feel defensive about.

This ad was made specifically to get a reaction and when you put women on the defensive, of course there is going to be a negative reaction.

6. Maria says:

Yeah for Maria. That being said. I pray that everything I do brings me, my family and anyone God’s placed in my path to Christ if they don’t know Him ,or closer to Christ,if they do know him.
    I also believe in modesty, I believe a woman’s body is for her husband’s eyes only…because of this, I personally feel that this poster could have been done differently. But I realize the world doesn’t see things this way and so a poster with a half naked woman is what we get… appreciate the hard work n drive it took to get that look…for that I say….way to go Maria..Maria keep doing what your doing and I will keep doing what I do…neither is better than the other just different… just because I wouldn’t do things Maria’s way doesn’t make me a hater…it just makes me, me n her, her….God made us & loves us both…

7. I agree, Stop the death-race, get off the couch and get fit. Let’s stop this body-rot and become an active civilization. Good for her for standing up for fitness and I admire such devotion. If we were all a little more active maybe our good examples would serve to enhance the lives of our children who see us sitting there doing nothing. If they can do it, WE can ALL Do It too!!!! Rock-on.

8. KD says:

while I LOVE Matt Walsh…I actually disagree on this one. I am thrilled for the mother pictured. I celebrate her victories and accomplishments…I am, however, offended by her word choice, “whats your EXCUSE?” Enough with the mom shaming! How about saying..”I found a way to balance my life that’s fulfilling and healthy, how can I help you?” There are a lot of moms keeping a lot of balls in the air and having great successes…different successes than the mom pictured above. It’s a different set of priorities, all equally as important to the individual mom. My facebook page could quickly fill with photos of moms who are entrepreneurs, Phd’s, community volunteers, amazing hostesses and homekeepers, working moms and single moms..all raising mutliple kids, running a busy family (and many, many dealing with special needs kids)…they all could pose for a picture with the caption “what’s your excuse”. The point is, they don’t…It goes back to lifting each other up, not tearing each other down. Disagreeing does not a “Hater” make.

• G.D. says:

I agreed 100%. Nowadays just because you disagree with someone you get labelled a hater.

• so2bed says:

Exactly. I read “What’s your excuse?” as being a rather hateful thing to say. An “I did it!!” would have brought a smile. Don’t see how you can blame people for telling her their excuses. After all, she did ask! And, you know, maybe we don’t all hold the body beautiful at the same spot on our priorities list, and what business is it of hers anyway?

• CMW822 says:

Actually it should be what business is it of anyone else’s given that she posted this on her own fb page. She didn’t say everyone one had to look like her, but perhaps to give some thought to the excuses they make that keeps them from being in better health, and shouldn’t everyone make their own health a priority?

• anon says:

If it was an old women with the quote, “what’s your excuse?” No one would be offended but because she is fit and young, everyone is up in arms. Your negative perspective twisted her words into something they’re not. That’s your own fault. She never said it was her buisiness to know about people’s bodies-asking people whats there excuse was directed at her followers. This was posted on her fitness site then outsiders decided-were going to be hateful and twist this women’s inspirational words. And beauty and health come hand in hand-exercise is a must or else the body deteriorates-she was promoiting working out. She’s awesome for promoting health.

• Exactly, @CMW822. It’s meant to be a challenge. Saying “I did it,” is more pleasing because it doesn’t challenge you, and just like Matt says, is safe for you (general you.) And I promise if she said “I did it,” people would call her vain, as there is no message behind the picture. There is no winning when the rest of society is so insecure. It’s the fact that she’s exposed. While I’m an advocate for modesty, her being exposed is really what’s threatening people. Nike comes out with photos and sayings like this all the time, (“Yesterday you said today” or “Just do it,” or “Don’t run away from challenges, run over them,”) and no one is in an uproar because they don’t compare themselves to Nike. They do, however, compare themselves to other women.
        It’s fine for an overweight girl to be confident. Good for her! She’s proud of her body no matter what! But for a fit girl, she’s being hateful. America needs thicker skin. Period.

• Cindy C says:

I agree with what you said 100%, the mother in the article should have used something better to say to the readers instead of what’s your excuse. To me THAT could be considered BULLYING and inappropriate!! And I’m not a “hater” on her but maybe on what she said…. i also think that her message as well as the authors message about haters may actually be triggering more hating. Lol but oh well this is America freedom of speech and if war with words and thought is what it takes to create more knowledge understanding and peace then this is better than a real physical war with eachother or ourselves internally. I believe arguments with the opposite side can lead to wisdom and liberation in others or yourself.

9. Melissa says:

What makes me sad about this entire discussion, is that people are talking about ‘fat people’ not making the choice to work out. What about people who have disabilities? I had a heart attack last year, based on a viral illness. I have gained 40 lbs since then, unable to keep up with my fitness program. I’m sure those self righteous people are happy to point to me and call me a fat slob sitting on my ass, but they don’t know that i have permanent heart muscle damage. Judge not, haters.

10. ph says:

Thank you for this post i agree completely!!! I work from home here is my site if anyone is interested. http://PocketMoneyJob.com/?id=phthree

11. Lydia Bell says:

I completely agree with your article. I did want to point out though that there were a whole bunch of altered versions of this photo circling around the internet. I actually didn’t realize there was ever a photo including her face. Some idiots decided to demumanize her. Perhaps that’s why so many people hated it/ her. I don’t see anything wrong with the message.

12. polarbearla says:

This is an image that women do not need to see. We are always being bombarded in society today that our bodies are not good enough. I agree with being healthy, but this message is very negative and it adds stress and defensiveness and not encouragement. My first take of the message was that if I don’t look like that after having three kids than I suck. Again, I think there are other ways to encourage women to be healthy and this is NOT it.

• CMW822 says:

So any woman who happens to have a body like that after working hard to achieve it should have to hide it so anyone who doesn’t won’t feel bad??! How is that any different than society trying to make you feel bad about yourself?

Nowhere in her message did she say that she expects everyone to look like her. All that she is saying by that statement is that she didn’t let HER excuses stand in the way of what she wanted to accomplish. Anything else you get from it is your projection of YOUR issues.

• Megan Wilson says:

CMW822

All I can say is, great response! I agree with you completely and i especially like your comment at the end, “Anything else you get from it is your projection of YOUR issues.” That is spot on! Women who have issues with pictures like Maria’s are usually fighting some internal battle with themselves and when they see someone else succeeding and achieving their goals they feel threatened and downtrodden. But that is it, their own problems.

So good job on the comment again. I am in total agreement with you. :)

• Cindy C says:

Agree

13. Megan Wilson says:

I have a hard time believing that people have such an issue with this picture. She has found a way to make herself and her family happy and what she wants of it. I am obese by normal standards and I am not happy with my body, nor will I be until I lose weight and get fit. I can look at this picture and see the following:

1. A woman
    2. A mother
    3. Someone who takes care of herself.
    4. Someone who wants to inspire others.

Maybe it is just my misguided brain, but how do you look at a picture and see her trying to shame you. If you can be shamed, then you know there is an issue, something wrong, or even something that YOU don’t like about yourself. I see her with her kids in that picture and think, WOW she has a full life and makes sure to find time to get healthy and stay healthy, I want to do that too! I am in no way happy with my life in its current status, but to see that other people can achieve such wonderful goals, means that if I work hard for it I can too.

Think about your life, where you are at, and why you feel the way you do, before saying she is in the wrong for showing off her achievements. Congratulations Maria, you, among many others, inspire me to be the best that I CAN MAKE MYSELF!

• Falcon D. Stormvoice says:

I don’t give excuses for things I don’t need excusing for, especially not to complete busybody strangers making demands of me over the internet.

Mind. Your. Own. Business.

• Megan Wilson says:

Your response makes no sense. No one is asking you or trying to butt into your business. Even with Maria’s quote above her photo, doesn’t it make sense that it could very well just be a rhetorical question? Also if you feel offended or uneasy by it then why not ignore it?

The biggest issue of all is that people hear what they want when they read something. People have no idea what tone is being implied by a simple statement or question, but they do assume it to be a certain way and then proceed accordingly. My mother always told me, to assume, you make an ass out of you and me. If people quit reading into things so much and jumping at their first conclusions, maybe there wouldn’t be so much hate, anger, and judgement going around. Maybe thinking before we speak or type should be mandatory first step for anyone who wants to socialize in today’s world.

Just my opinion.

14. Pingback: What’s your excuse? | Cubik's Rube

15. Pingback: Nobody hates TED talks | Lancing a Windmill

16. マークバイマークバイマークジェイコブス 渋谷 原宿 美容室 http://fuguchuaek.luminoxahuepabdefalrahuepasionjp.org/

17. Falcon D. Stormvoice says:

Mind. Your. Own. Business.

18. Pingback: You don’t have to erase every trace of childbirth from your body | The Matt Walsh Blog

19. That one says:

I agree with Falcon.

By saying “what is your excuse?” its a direct accusation, a cut down to another person. Not a brag of ones own accomplishment. Why not say “See what I did!” (my accomplishment) or even “You can do it!”(encouragement) . Everyone is not the same, is not equally capable in all areas, physically, mentally or otherwise, nor does every person WANT to achieve the same goals.

Are you a champion wrestler? Well, why the hell not? Whats stopping you?!

Whatever. I’m sure the wrestler, mountain climber, and six pack mom do not have some of my talents and qualities as well, but I am not on the internet pointing it out, to them, nor a billion strangers.

Good for them. I do not NEED an excuse to not be them.

• CMW822 says:

You’re putting a perceived tone in it…perhaps it’s not accusatory…and perhaps if you projecting your own insecurities onto it, you would be less offended.

20. Samantha says:

Amen, Matt.

21. Pingback: The Q-Tip Blog

22. Pingback: Enough Hate | The Q-Tip Blog

23. Mariana says:

The difference between the latter examples in your post and Mrs. Kang is that the latter examples aren’t posing half naked and boasting about their accomplishments while asking others what their excuse is. The athletes with the disabilities and the woman of advancing age in your post are inspirational because they’ve accomplished great things, not because they boast about those great things. Yes, they’re proud of their achievements – as they should be – but they aren’t being arrogant about it.

Furthermore, my reaction to Mrs. Kang’s post was, and still is: I don’t have an excuse. Neither do I need one, because my size 10, big Brazilian butt, stretched marked, mother-of-2 body IS PERFECT. I believe that attitude is a lot more inspirational to mothers than asking what their excuse is while posing in your underwear so you can get a pat on the back by humiliating those who haven’t achieved the same as you. The question “what’s your excuse?” itself puts people on the defensive, and whenever people get on the defensive, negative reactions are commonplace and to be expected. Which they were. The amount of traffic that controversial post generated to her website, in conjunction with her release of a product to make people achieve her washboard abs is no coincidence, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I do agree that many of the negative responses to Mrs. Kang’s publicity stunt have been just as misguided as the stunt itself, but I must disagree that her image is inspirational. As a health care professional who has worked with many people with behavioural eating issues, I can tell you that Mrs. Kang’s supposedly inspirational image for the obese does exactly the opposite of inspire – it depresses. It also gives credit to the general population’s feeling that fitness professionals are always judging people by their looks (trust me, people give me their “excuses” the minute I tell the what I do for a living. As if I cared. I’m too busy getting to know their wonderful personalities). There are many other problems with Mrs. Kang’s “inspirational” image. If you’re interested, I’ve written about it here: http://achieverfitness.com/as-if-maria-kang-needed-any-more-publicity/

24. Secret shame is privately revisited frequently in an attempt to deal while
    using pain, and becomes fertile ground for distorted beliefs highly charged with a painful emotional tag.
    There are a lot of people that discuss using torrent to
    transfer data to a large number of people at once.
    They have movies, music, games, shows and software all available.

25. Michelle says:

I LOVE THIS! THANK YOU!

26. Pingback: Black and White Make-wrong | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

27. Andrea says:

I’m a little cynical about the Maria Kang situation for two reasons:
    >1 She was a beauty pageant competitor starting in high school. I just can’t help but feel that there is a superficial-ness to this whole thing. Granted a great thing about working out is the health as well as looking better but for some reason I would feel less cynical about her if she had only been an athlete.

>2 I agree with the other commenters that the copy on the image is confrontational. It’s not a promo for her blog saying “check out my life plan and get your health back on track” or “Make sure your kids have a mom in 20yrs, let’s get healthy now” or even “I did it and so can you!”. Instead it’s confrontational negative copy.

>3 it’s her job to work out. Literally. She founded a nonprofit focused on fitness and considering the obesity epidemic in this country I’m sure her nonprofit is answering a true need. However, my point is that she leads workouts for a living. Most of us don’t have workouts built into our salary/work time so she’s living in a way with time to devote that the rest of us couldn’t do. I know this sounds like an excuse but it is a big factor influencing her health.

That’s my piece. I guess this makes me a hater but so be it.

28. Pingback: You don’t have to erase every trace of childbirth from your body | My Website

29. Pingback: Are You Guilty Of Facebook Envy? | Care2 Healthy Living

30. Fiona says:

So do you make up excuses for why you’re not in shape, or do you love your body the way it is?? If you fit in the former category, Maria’s message is for you. If you don’t, then it’s not. I’m not sure why people who are genuinely happy with the way they are, are offended by a message that’s NOT directed towards them!!

There are a LOT of people – A LOT – who give excuses as to why they can’t do something. I don’t care whether it’s about their health and fitness, their career, or relationships or anything else. They say, “I’d get in shape but I can’t because blah blah blah…” or “I’d love a new job but I can’t get one because blah blah blah…” etc. etc.

The point is that anyone can use an excuse NOT to achieve, and Maria (who was overweight, if you see some of her older pictures) could ALSO have made up excuses (for herself or others) for being out of shape, but she didn’t. She could have used her kids as an excuse (as so many do) but she didn’t. Her message is for those who WANT to change, who WANT to be in shape/fit etc. but who USE EXCUSES as to why they can’t.

Her message is NOT for those who are happy with the way they are. It’s just not. Why be offended by a message that is nothing to do with you? I’m really not sure why people DO get offended! If the message isn’t for you then ignore it. Simple!

If you want to make a change but have been coming up with excuses as to why you can’t, then maybe you need to take a leaf out of Maria’s book.